Monday, October 30, 2006

Hats Off to the Hardcore

Wii are disappointed.

Went yesterday to Toys R Us before they opened to try and pre-order a Wii and a PS3. When I got there, about 1.5 hours prior to opening, I found lots of folks hanging out by the side entrance. (And by "folks," I mean, "nerds.") In any event, some of them had been there since the night before, and one of them cheerfully* pointed out to me that all the consoles were already spoken for. Apparently, each Toys R Us received 10 Wii pre-orders and 6 PS3 pre-orders. Gee, that should satisfy demand!

Anyway, the last guy in line graciously** explained that he had gotten there at 7:30 am, so anyone arriving after him was SOL. ORLY? As far as I know, there is not a law stating that "nerdiest nerds get first dibs" -- but I was willing to concede.

In all seroiusness, props to the gamers who are so dedicated that they will sleep in a Toys R Us parking lot to obtain a new console. I, on the other hand, have better things to do with my life. And I refuse to play these stupid games in order to play my stupid games.

I will be interested to read the blogs this morning to see others' reactions. Kotaku has a nice summary here.

*vindictively

**rudely

No comments: