Thursday, October 26, 2006

Another One Bites the iDust

Well, I have discovered a veritable "iPod killer" -- ME! My iPod abruptly stopped working the other night. (Dropping it earlier in the evening might have had something to do with it.) Anyway, this iPod was a replacement for the earlier one that I broke back in February. Poop!

So I brought it into Apple, and confirmed what I already knew: replacement iPods only have a 90-day warrantee. They recommended sending it for a diagnosis from a trusted third-party vendor, so I used the excellent iPodResQ service. For $29, they shipped me a protective box and an overnight DHL label, which I used to ship the unit back to them. In less than 24 hours, they called me back with a diagnosis: FUBAR. Well, not exactly, but the digital guts of the unit are all screwed up and the battery needs to be replaced. Total: $149. Yipe!

Fortunately, the hard drive was fine, and iPodResQ offered to buy it for $60. Not bad at all. I guess I'll just use that towards my new video iPod!

(Gosh, I hope I have a more gentle touch with this one.)

Footnote: if your iPod breaks, and you bring it in to Apple, they will let you trade it in for 10% off a new one.

No comments: