Friday, December 21, 2007

New Netflix Record

So Netflix shipped the movie "Babel" to me on June 26, 2007. I finally got around to watching it last night. It only took about six months! (Note: Amitai arrived on July 14, 2007.) Anyway, I thought the movie was fantastic.

Some critics found the movie's message ("We're all connected!") to be too simplistic or straightforward. Sure, it's "a small world after all" but if that's all you take from the movie, I think you missed the point. I was impressed with the different levels of meaning to the intertwining stories, with the common theme of communication (or lack thereof) tying the whole thing together. The performances were excellent and it is always refreshing to see unique characters that don't step out of central casting. I can't think of another movie to feature a deaf-mute Japanese teenager, can you?

So, it was worth the wait. Now let's see when we get around to viewing "The Lives of Others".

No comments: