Friday, August 18, 2006

Geek Moment

Speaking of my favorite movies ever, I just got finished watching Flash Gordon (1980). Towards the end of the movie, during the climactic battle, some music started playing that seemed weirdly familiar (and not just because I've seen the movie dozens of times). It was bothering me, until I remembered that I was hearing music from a video game...but what game? Ah, yes, it's Vanguard! A great coin-op game and one of my favorite Atari 2600 ports. I just played it in Stella right now to be sure, and yep, same music.

Well, turns out the movie didn't borrow from the game, the game "borrowed" from the movie! (Vanguard came out in 1981.) I don't know how a Japanese videogame manufacturer decided to lift random instrumental Queen music from an over-the-top sci-fi romp starring a former football player, the chick from Manimal and a guy named after the smoker's tooth polish...but there you go. And I confirmed it in Wikipedia, so it has to be true!

No comments: