Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Weird Game


If you want a refreshing break from the same old games, try "Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space".

My boss brought this game to my attention, and when he showed it me I cannot say that I was too impressed. It took me weeks to load it up, and when I finally played it this afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps this was due to my lowered expectations, but after tinkering with the game for a while tonight, it's obvious that the game is a solid title in its own right.

Funny, but Weird Worlds contains many elements that I usually don't like: confusing space maps, lots of text, strategy-lite gameplay, resources to worry about. But here's the deal: the maps are not confusing (they just look confusing), the text is entertaining (and pretty clever), the strategy parts are fun (if a bit unbalanced) and the resource management is super simplified (no credits to worry about). The drag-and-drop interface is really intuitive and easy to use, and best of all, you can play a session in about a half hour and walk away satisfied.

The general idea is: you are a captain of a space vessel. You travel from planet to planet, gathering weapons and items, meeting strange alien races, upgrading your technology, enlisting new allies and blowing the crap out of hostiles. Every time you play, the map generates randomly, so there's a lot of replay value. Plus, it seems that your missions and goals change as you play, although I have not gotten far enough to determine what the pattern is.

Interestingly, the game is an independent release, so it probably gets no mention in the mainstream press and certainly no shelf space in the mass retail outlets. How a game like this survives is beyond me, but I guess word of mouth (like this post) helps. I hope some gamers read this and decide to give it a try. It would be nice to see more games like Weird Worlds break out of obscurity and carve out a little niche for themsleves amidst the landscape of sequels and big-budget titles. There's room for all kinds of cuisine in the gamer's daily diet.

You know, like giant space snails.

No comments: