Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Hell Is Other People


So I went to see Doom last night, instead of playing in my usual low-stakes weekly poker tournament. I have to say, I was quite pleased with the film. (Then again, I didn't have very high expectations.) Surprisingly, the beginning of the movie was plodding, but once the action picked up there were a few nice setpieces. The art direction did the franchise justice, as there were a lot of details carefully lifted from the games. For instance, I really liked how all the security panels on the Mars outpost looked just like the ones in Doom 3.

If anything, I was disappointed that the "portal to Hell" aspect of the game was downplayed. No pentagrams or demonic voices or anything, which was a shame. As a result, zombie trope monotony begins to set in towards the end of the movie ("Ohmygod, that dead body was right there. Where did it go? LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!" etc.) instead of what should have been some serious hellspawn action. All told, not a bad movie, as far as videogame films go. The FPS sequence was pretty cool as well. But I still liked the first Resident Evil more.

No comments: