Thursday, June 02, 2005

Rage Against the Media

I am pleased to report that the new Audioslave record ("Out of Exile") is as good as I had hoped it would be, which is a rock 'n' roll blessing. The promise of the "Your Time Has Come" single is definitely realized across the board. Granted, I bought the darn CD yesterday so I need to give it a few more listens, but if you liked the debut you're sure to like the new one. Surprisingly, "Out of Exile" has some really upbeat and (dare I say) sunny moments, especially on "Be Yourself" -- a catchy number with cornball lyrics that is sure to become a summer staple on rock radio. This positive turn is a little bit unexpected, but honestly, how long can one seriously Rage Against the Machine?

(I am reminded of a funny sitcom idea I had, in which Zach De La Rocha is forced to room with The Machine. In the pilot episode, Zach gets angry at The Machine for leaving his dirty dishes lying around and for putting a glass on the coffee table without using a coaster.)

I will continue to argue that Audioslave is better than the sum of its parts, even though I have always liked Soundgarden and, to a lesser extent, Rage. Chris Cornell is, IMHO, one of the best rock frontmen ever, and he's a total powerhouse with Tom Morello and gang backing him up. Audioslave will be criticized by snobs for being a 90s throwback or simply boring, which makes me mad as a hatter.

Which brings me to the reviews. The ones I've seen in the mainstream media have been little more than lukewarm, which surprises me. Entertainment Weekly, a stupid magazine that practically ejactulated on the first album, gives "Out of Exile" a C+. Rolling Stone, which I haven't read in years but generally votes every album a classic, doesn't do much better. What is this all about? Am I just getting old?

Entertainment Weekly...now there's a topic for a rant.

No comments: